Monday, March 3, 2008

A Prayer-Filled Month

Wow, what a month! I can hardly believe we’re at this point again already, and yet it seems like so much has happened. Where to begin?

We kicked off the month with an evening of fun and games with my college roommate and her husband, who now live in Chapel Hill, NC. It was great to visit and reminisce, and introduce them to the Southern wonders of Bojangles’ restaurant (yum-o).




In an attempt to find more social activities for both David and myself, I also decided to try the Story Time at Barnes & Noble on Friday mornings. It’s kind of a tight squeeze to get there on time, as story time starts at 10:30 and David is in Little Gym until 10:15. The first time I tried going, David got a little too adventurous once we got in the store and ran up the escalator without me (I had the stroller and so planned to go in the elevator). He turned around to look at me as I was calling him back, and he ended up falling down the escalator. I felt like the world was in slow motion as I watched him lose his balance and teeter off the edge of the step, then slide down several stairs. I imagined his hand or coat getting caught in the side and something getting seriously mangled. I left Daniel and the stroller at the bottom and ran up the escalator to rescue him. Fortunately he was more startled than hurt. He just had some very long scrapes running from his wrists to his elbows. I sat on the floor and held him to calm him down, and we had the first of many chats this month about consequences of our actions and not listening to Mommy. By the time we got upstairs story time was basically over, so we just went into the Kid’s section to play with the Thomas the Tank Engine train table. After a second unsuccessful attempt to make it to story time on time, I gave up on that idea, but at least I know that the train table is a hit.

I noticed one day that we were getting a cold draft through our fireplace. Since I tend to sit on the part of the sofa that is directly in front of the fireplace, I determined to do something about that. First I investigated glass doors for the fireplace, and upon seeing they were way too expensive for our current situation, I went out and bought a sheet of insulation foam, cut it to size, and wrapped it in black bulletin board paper. Then I stuffed it in the fireplace opening so I won’t get any more cold drafts. Whew! A nice fix for under $20. I felt pretty pleased with my solution. Then to restore some depth and interest to the fireplace I went and got a pretty fireplace screen to liven it up a bit.



Around Valentine’s Day we made a salesman very happy by finally committing to start renovating our garage. We have a double garage, but it has two single doors that are rather narrow. Our Corolla fits in just fine, but to get our Odyssey into the garage, I have to fold in both side mirrors, and then I only have about an inch on either side. Once I’m in, space is so tight I can barely open the doors. So in order to help that problem, short of just razing the garage and building a bigger one (I wish!), we’re going to remove the two single doors and install one double door. That will allow me to pull in without folding in mirrors, and I can pull in more towards the center of the garage so I have room to open the doors. Yay! When this is all done (8-12 weeks) I won’t have to load and unload kids in the much-prayed-for rain anymore. I’m so stoked.

That weekend we held our breath and said many more prayers for my oldest nephew, Justin, who is a Freshman at BYU. He was out on campus with some friends on a Friday night and had full-on cardiac arrest. He had to be defibrillated four times before his start started again, and he was without oxygen for 15 minutes. The doctors’ prognoses were grim, but through the faith and prayers of so many, Justin recovered in under a week with only some short-term memory loss. He is a walking miracle, and we’re so grateful to still have him with us. Read or watch his story.

Within hours of hearing Justin was released from the hospital, we received a phone call that our 20-month-old-ish niece on Nathan’s side was admitted to the hospital with type-1 diabetes. Talk about a whammy-ka-blammy. Our prayers are with them as they still try to get that all sorted out.

Such news from our extended families made me feel very blessed that I only had to take Daniel to the doctor on a Saturday afternoon for another ear infection. We had a rough Friday with very little sleeping and whole lotta crying on his part. At first I thought he was just over-tired and having a hard time winding down, plus David was making enough noise to wake him up when he did sleep. When he woke up screaming at midnight though, I knew that something was up, and it echoed the January ear infection. Why do these things always surface late at night and on weekends? I gave him some Tylenol and propped the head-end of his mattress a little bit and he was a happy little camper for the rest of the night. Then I called the pediatrician’s urgent care line first thing in the morning to get his ear checked (sho’ ‘nuff!) and start him on antibiotics. After that he was just peachy.

I was so excited to see David interact with a bonafide friend at Church a few weeks ago. Chase is a year older than David, but as we pulled up at the same time, the boys went running into the church together holding hands. It gave me warm fuzzies to see David have that kind of bond finally. We invited Chase to come to David’s “bring a friend” week at the Little Gym. David was a little rascal that day in class, but I was happy he had a friend to bring.

David is also continuing to enjoy playing games with us, and he also likes doing puzzles. He does some mighty fine work on a USA puzzle without state outlines. That’s my little geographer! (forewarning: the video is 13 minutes long)










Daniel is finally sitting up by himself! As an added bonus, he can now also roll from his back to his tummy, so he is fully mobile…sorta. He still scoots backwards all over and often gets backed into corners. The trail of drool in his wake on the hardwood floors reminds us of snail trails.



He also has a baby gym/playmat with two arches criss-crossing corner to corner. He backs into one of those arches and then gets mad as he goes around in circles because he’s stuck on that arch. One time he just took the gym with him around the room. It’s pretty funny to watch.









I have to add just one more little bit: Daniel does this cute little stacking hands clap, and Nathan caught it on video.









So that’s us in a nutshell. We love and miss you all!
Love,
The (Other) Other Nashes
Nathan, Natalie, David, & Daniel

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Cute photos! Daniel is getting so big and so cute.